Caring for your future
Exploring new ways to study kidney disease at the single-cell level.
GenomeScan is seeking an Early Stage Researcher (ESR) to join a Marie Skłodowska-Curie (MSCA) project within the Innovative Training Network call ‘TrainCKDis’ of the European Union-funded Horizon 2020 Programme.
Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is an increasing global health problem. Despite the significant scientific efforts, the precise molecular underpinnings of CKD are yet to be elucidated. The complexity of a human kidney is associated with a large number of specialized cell types that are organized into functionally distinct compartments. Therefore, to address the mechanistic origins of renal disease, it is critical to establish a comprehensive cellular anatomy of the organ. The aim of this project is to generate transcriptional signatures of individual cells during pathogenesis. To that end, the prospective ESR will employ the cutting-edge single cell RNA sequencing (scRNAseq) technology coupled with a sophisticated Bioinformatics (Bio-IT) tools. He/she will design a complete workflow for scRNAseq experiments and create an efficient Bio-IT platform recognizing different cell types and highlighting significant changes in expression profiles of analyzed cells. The workflow and the platform will be then validated using Polycystic Kidney Models (PKD), which will provide insights into molecular determinants of CKD progression and treatment stratification.
- MSc degree in Life Sciences
- affinity with translational research (experience in CKD in particular would be a plus)
- affinity with Bio-IT (R, Python)
- an interest to gain a PhD in the field of systems biology and Bio-IT
- high intrinsic motivation and a strong scientific curiosity
- willingness to work across academy and industry
- willingness to relocate to the Netherlands (area Leiden/The Hague)
- excellent oral and written English communication skills
MSCA eligibility criteria:
- at the date of recruitment the applicants for the MSCA fellowship must have no PhD and less than 4 years of full-time equivalent research experience from the award of the degree that entitles them to undertake a doctorate (either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in the country in which the applicant is to be recruited).
- the applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the Netherlands for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date. Short stays, such as holidays, are not taken into account.
These eligibility requirements are non-negotiable and ineligible applicants will not be considered.
Eligible applicants can be of any nationality.
Conditions of employment:
The ESR will be based at GenomeScan in Leiden and work in a multidisciplinary team of molecular biologists, bio-informaticians and ESRs from other MSCA projects under supervision of Dr. Inès Beumer, Dr. Magda Grudniewska and Prof. Dr. Bart Janssen. The position involves enrollment into a PhD program at the Leiden University.
Coherently with the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Training Program, the ESR will be involved in many different aspects of research and will work closely together with the other ESR’s within the network.
Furthermore, the ESR will take part in training programs, workshops and summer schools, as well as secondments at several of the other institutions that form the network.
The ESR will be contractually employed on a full-time (40 hours per week) temporary basis (fixed term as long as the project is running, but at all times limited to 36 months) by GenomeScan and covered under the social security scheme.
He/she will receive a Monthly Living Allowance plus a Mobility Allowance and potentially a Family Allowance compliant with the applicable EC Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions-Innovative Training Network general conditions.
Beginning of the fellowship is planned for Q4 2020.
How to apply?
Candidates are invited to submit all application documents in English to Mrs. Vivienne Heemskerk (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please, add the following attachments to your application:
- Cover Letter detailing your motivation and background for applying for the project
- A detailed CV including technical and analytical skills and publications if applicable.
- All academic level certificates (BSc and MSc) including university grades itemized by each course. Foreign documents should be sent as certified English translations.
- At least two professional referees (Name, address, telephone & email).
Applications are evaluated on an ongoing basis and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com